Great Victorian Swim Series
Cousins Tours & Travel Great Victorian Swim Series 2019/20
The Great Victorian Swim Series is a not for profit “club” promoting fitness, fun, camaraderie & competition among swimmers and supporters of the Victorian open water swim community. For a small annual registration fee you will receive many benefits while helping to raise funds for Victorian Life Saving Clubs. Join the GVSS club now!
- · Short course (2k or less)
- · Short course Non-Wetsuit (2k or less)
- · Long course (over 2.2k)
- · Long course Non-Wetsuit (over 2.2k)
- · Supporter/cheer squad
- 14 Dec 19 Wow- Williamstown 1.2k & 2.5k
- 26 Dec 19 Pt Leo 1.2k & 2.5k
- 04 Jan 20 Danger 1000 & 2500 -Torquay
- 05 Jan 20 Ripview - Pt Lonsdale 1.4k & 3.8k
- 17 Jan 20 Mornington Twilight swim 1.2k & 2.5k
- 19 Jan Sorrento Bay Swim 2k & 4k
- 25 Jan 20 Ocean Grove Open Water 1.2k & 2.5k
- 26 Jan 20 Mt Martha Australia Day Swim 1.2k & 5k
- 09 Feb 20 Brighton Bathing Box Classic- 1.2k & 2.5
- 29 Feb 20 HMB Cerberus swim. 1.2k & 2.5k
- TWILIGHT PRESENTATION PARTY
Swimmers entered in the Non Wetsuit category must wear the series bathers.
Final series points will be based on your 6 best results for the short course, best of 6 for the long course.
Dates of participating events subject to change
About the Swim Series
The "Great Victorian Swim Series" is an ocean swim series for the thousands of recreational swimmers who take part in individual swims over summer. The aim of the series is to encourage more people to be active and take part in these great community events that help raise money for our surf life saving clubs.
Entry to the series is simple and you get some great gear and the chance to win heaps more, even if you're not a fast swimmer who is vying for a series win. There are lots of spot prizes as well, including a swim trip to Europe 2020. You must be present at the presentation party to qualify for the travel prizes.
How to enter:
- To register click here
- Entry to the series costs only $48
- entry includes:
- The option to purchase Catfish series bathers at an amazing $28 per pair. (additional series apparel available for purchase)
- A long sleeve series hoodie.
- Sun Visor or cap
- Complimentary invitation to end of season presentation party.
- Series results updated after each race.
- Eligibility for series placings and great prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category.
- Eligibility for spot prizes.
Competitors need to register for the series by 07 Jan 2020, Enter early to guarantee series hoodie and option to purchase series bathers for an amazing $28. There is no requirement to complete a minimum number of events, you don't have to do any races to win the travel prizes!
2019/20 series bathers
It is the responsibility of individuals to enter participating races in the series in addition to the series itself.
Prizes have been generously donated by Cousins Tours & Travel, Light on Landscape & Masters Swimming Victoria
The top 19 competitors in each category will receive placing points and each competitor after 19th place will receive 1 point for participation (excludes DNS and DNF results).
The scoring system for the series gives everyone a chance to finish amongst the top places.
The swim series is divided into the following seven categories for both Male and Female.
Age at 16 December 2018.
Ages: 12 to 17, 18 to 29, 30 to 39, 40 to 49, 50 to 59, 60 to 69 & 70+
Short Course (swims that are 2km or less)
Long Course (More than 2k)
Masters Swimming Victoria open water club championship
If you are a member of a masters swimming club select your club when registering. Your series points will be allocated to help your club become MSV open water club champions.
If you are not a member - consider joining now. For MSV website click here
MSV OWS CUPS FOR THE GVSS SERIES 2019-2020
This season there is a change to the Masters Swimming Victoria awards in order to celebrate all aspects of MSV’s mantra of fun, friendship and fitness in this fabulous series.
The two cups are as follows:
TOP CLUB AWARD: everyone who is a member of a masters club who swims counts! Even just one swim. The more swimmers and the more swims, the better the club’s chances.
HIGH PERFORMANCE AWARD: to celebrate the special achievements of our masters swimmers. Every podium place wins points for the club for this award.
Here are the rules:
• Swimmers must be registered participants in the GVSS series to have their points counted
• Swimmers must nominate their MSV club when entering the GVSS series
• Swimmers must be paid-up members in 2019 and 2020 of the club they nominate.
• Top club: every time a registered MSV club competitor swims he/she wins points as listed in the GVSS results for his/her club. No double-dipping with points for non-wetsuit competitors in wetsuit category for the same distance at the same time! Highest total wins.
• High Performance Trophy: points for every podium place won by club member. No double-dipping! Highest total wins.
Any queries about the MSV awards, should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Points and Scoring
Each race in the Swim Series earns you points into the overall score for the series. You are only competing against people in your own category.
To be eligible for category and spot prizes, competitors must register for the series before 07 Jan 2020.
Points are awarded for entrants in each swim as follows from 20 points down to 1 point based on their placing in the event. (male & female in each category awarded points)
For example 1st = 20pts, 2nd = 19pts, 3rd = 18pts, 4th = 17pts, 5th = 16pts ...down to 1 pt.
All competitors receive a minimum of 1 point for each event for participation.
Final series points will be based on your 6 best results for both short & long courses
If you swim twice in two age categories on the same day then the registered age category will apply. ( eg Open and age Category )
The series is open to swimmers, supporters and the very important towel and bag holders.
You automatically qualify for series points once you have registered for the series. Everyone registering for the series is eligible for spot prizes - not compulsory to compete in the swims. To win one of the travel prizes you must be at the Presentation party draw.
Races with Different Lengths:
You will only be awarded points in the category you have entered. i.e Short Course, Long Course, non-wetsuit. You can enter more than one category.
Terms and Conditions of point scoring are subject to change.
To be eligible for the prizes in the Swim Series you need to register before 07 January 2020
Results - 2019/20
Short Course - Wetsuit
Long Course - Wetsuit
Short Course - Non Wetsuit
Long Course - Non Wetsuit
Congratulations and thanks to all of you that support the clubs and swims - together with Masters Swimming Victoria, Catfish and all participating surf clubs we hope you all have a great swim season!
- Travel Prize - everyone registered for the series is entered into the draw (you need to be at presentation party to win a travel prize) . Swim trip to Europe 2019 donated by Cousins Tours & Travel.
- Prizes for first 3 in each category.
- Plenty of generous spot prizes donated by our sponsors.
- Spot prize to be drawn at each participating swim (you must be present at the event to be eligible for this prize).
- Masters Swimming Victoria prizes
If you or your company would like to be part of the swim series as a sponsor we would love to hear from you. Help us make the swim series bigger and better for 2018/19 - click here to contact us.
Please support our sponsors